Thursday, July 10, 2008

Obama says Americans Need to Speak French / Spanish

Despite my abject empathy for Obama’s embarrassment at the United States’ lack of foreign language prowess, I’m afraid I do not share his emotion. Similarly, I do not feel compelled to learn Spanish because some rookie politician says I must.

I do not aspire to be French, German, Spanish or any other European designation and I will not live my life with the sole pursuit of pleasing foreign nations. Nor will I ever be embarrassed of my country because some elitist seeking cocktail credibility blushes at the thought of being disliked by Canne Film Festival regulars. I am an American. I speak English.

Although I can speak a great deal of Spanish, I learned it because I wanted to not because I needed to. Soon we will have to learn just to be able to shop at a retail outlet or understand local landscaping and house cleaning services. At the present rate, we will have no choice and Spanish will become the dominant language in the USA..

0 comments: